Networking outside workgroup?

Moderator: DL7UCX

Antworten
SA0BJL

Networking outside workgroup?

Beitrag von SA0BJL »

Hi all!
Sorry for the English, but my German is not so good.

I understand that two computers need to be in the same workgroup or domain for networking in UcxLog. But I have the need to get two computers that are 350 meters apart to network in a Multi-multi setup. Is there any way to accomplish this, perhaps with a VPN connection? Short of that I'm open for suggestions on how to extend my wireless network to cover that distance...

Thanks and 73
Lars, SA0BJL
DL7UCX
Re: Networking outside workgroup?

Beitrag von DL7UCX »

Hi Lars,

some users realized the UcxLog network connection also in a Virtual Private Network tunneled through the internet.
Also in a VPN you can fulfill the condition "Same Workgroup".

If you are able to extend your WLAN to 350m (directional antenna?), you are inside the LAN and do not need VPN.

73 Ben
DL6ER

Beitrag von DL6ER »

Hi Lars,

I wrote a very long article but the Log-PC crashed and now everything is gone :evil:
Again in short words from my working-station:

- I have already extended Wireless-LANs across about 20km, depending on your location and your readiness to pay a lot of money (dir.-ant., vy good coax (e.g. Ecoflex 15) + professional Routers).

So VPN might be your way:
- I'm not using Windows at work (as it is forbidden to be used in research at my facility, cause of Security Problems), so I'm not sure if thats correct, but: Are there several Workgroups that can be set? If not, why shouldn't all PCs already be in the same Workgroup over VPN?
While looking the Internet up for this question I realized how complicated it can be: Every single Windows-Version has other Connection-Problems, if you try to connect different versions (e.g. XP <-> Win7) it's all every worse.
In your home network it should work more or less, but over VPN it depends extremely on your Setup (Win-Versions) and Settings (for the VPN-Connection).

When you give us that information, I can look forward to find a solution for you if one exists (and I can understand it without using Windows for myself :roll: )

73 Nick, DL6ER
DL7UCX

Beitrag von DL7UCX »

Hello,

I did NOT notice connection problems between different Windows versions related to UcxLog Network.
Normally the UcxLog connection succeed if at least the file release between the PCs is possible.

73 Ben
SA0BJL

Beitrag von SA0BJL »

Thanks for the replies! This will be a one-time setup so there's no room for hardware investments. The VPN solution sounds very good, and I'm grateful for any pointers you may have. Today we have two machines running Win XP and they are in the same workgroup. One of them will be moved to another building and hooked up to the Internet.

73 de Lars
DM6WAN

Beitrag von DM6WAN »

Hallo,
ich habe gerade noch einmal die Diskussion zum Thema UCX-Netzwerk "outside" gelesen. Ist das korrekt, dass man sich über einen VPN-Tunnel mit einem anderen, geografisch entfernten, UCX-Rechner über das Internet verbinden kann? Problem ist ja das in der Regel keine statische IP-Adresse existiert. Da kann das bei einem Contest schon Probleme geben. Hat da jemand Erfahrungen?
73 Steffen
DL7UCX

Beitrag von DL7UCX »

Hallo Steffen,

das UcxLog-Netzwerk arbeitet nicht mit IP-Adressen, sondern innerhalb des lokalen Netzwerks mit der Windows-Arbeitsgruppe (braucht "NetBIOS over TCP/IP").
Das geht auch über ein VPN.

73 Ben
DL7UCX

Beitrag von DL7UCX »

Von Steffen, DM6WAN wurde eine Anleitung für einen VPN-Tunnel mittels TeamViewer erstellt:
http://www.ucxlog.com/docs/UcxLog_Netzw ... DM6WAN.pdf

73 Ben
Antworten